Friday, June 13, 2008

Remembering a special person...

Today will mark 3 years since my mother-in-law and beloved "grammy"
(to LJ, LK, ZoZo , Carly Bug, and Coop) passed. This rose bush was a memorial gift given to us upon her passing. These roses just bloomed 2 days ago. I thought the timing was interesting. We think of her all the time, but on this day Hubby and I usually don't comment on what "day" it is. Even though it is a really difficult day to remember and brings back so many sad details, she was such an awesome woman that a blog post is much deserved.

Here is my hope for a future conversation between myslef, LJ, and LK....
LJ and LK: "Mom, what happened to Grammy"
Mom: "She had pancreatic cancer"
LJ and LK: "I wish we could have met her"
Mom: "I wish you could have also.."
LJ and LK: "I sure am glad that they found a cure for cancer so we don't lose more people that we love"

Pancreatic cancer is one of the top 5 deadliest cancers in the U.S. The reason being that usually the cancer has spread before it is detected. In 2008, new cases of pancreatic cancer are at 37,680. Deaths from pancreatic cancer in 2008 are at 34,290. To learn more about pancreatic cancer or to donate to help find a cure, please visit PanCan

Some of you may remember my post about Randy Pausch and his Last Lecture. Well, his blog is located here. I keep checking up on him, knowing exactly how grim his future is. I pray that he lives to enjoy Father's Day on Sunday as he has three children under the age of 6. Here is a blog post from a colleague of Randy. I am sorry if I am going on and on about this man....but I really haven't been so inspired in quite some time. Also, pancreatic cancer is what our favorite dirty dancer,Patrick Swayze, was diagnosed with earlier this year. I hear he was spotted at a Lakers game in May and seems to be doing okay.

2 comments:

And along comes three... said...

Okay B...you totally have me bawling...thinking of your conversation with LJ & LK one day...guess I'll be having one of those with Coop too...gives me some hope! Love you!

Knitterella said...

I pray there IS a cure by the time you have that conversation with LnL. Cancer is taking the lives of way too many special people.

I get so sad for you and your family when I think about your mother-in-law. I just know a tiny bit of how hard that was for you all.

Thinking of you… (hugs)