Sunday, November 2, 2008

Potty Gods...please give us patience

"Me go potty", "poo poo's", "me have poo poo's", "my potty", "no, MY potty", "bye-bye pee-pee", "bye-bye poo poo", "me flush", "me flush", "me flush", "wash hands", "my wash hands", "wash hands", "uh-oh... mess", "big potty", "lil potty", "need paper", "flush again", "bye bye poo poo's", "poo poo" ..................................................... THESE ARE JUST A FEW OF THE PHRASES WE HEAR NON-STOP DURING OUR POTTY TRAINING DAYS


All I can say it that Hubby and I will be throwing ourselves one hugeass party when we get through potty training. I have never spent so much time in a bathroom in my life...(including all those days in middle school when I used to spend hours ratting and teasing my bangs), and this is just the start of it! We purchased our little potty when LnL were 18 mos. Basically, that is when we started to introduce them to the concept of the "potty". LK has been interested for a long time now. She was going on the potty way back in June, but not regularily.
We are now in full swing potty training mode and have never been more frustrated. One child says they have to go potty and (of course) the other child decides nature is calling to them also! Then we have two kids in the bathroom fighting over potties, flushing, washing hands, step-stools, etc.!! Then, I got into the habit of giving them a "special treat" after they went potty (candy corn). Now they want "special treats" ALL the time. Then came the false potty trick where the child says they have to go potty just to get the "special treat". Also, whenever one child goes potty they try to get "special treats" for their sibling....I guess so they can celebrate their poo-poo's together? How sweet, eh?
Calling out to all POTTY TRAINING WARRIORS: Any tips, tricks, hints, suggestions, strategies, guidelines, opinions, war stories would be greatly appreciated in the comment section.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

No tips or tricks here but GOOD LUCK!!!

And along comes three... said...

I'll just say this....and I have NEVER had to potty train two at the same time...but what ended up working for us was backing off and letting them do it on their own when they were good and ready. We spent months trying and when Zoe was ready...just before her 3rd birthday...she trained herself in one week with no accidents and we never looked back. Carly did the same...but earlier...just over 2 years old. I think when they're ready, they'll do it fairly easily and quickly. Thought I haven't done a boy yet and I've heard that's a whole different ballgame...no pun intended!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe these are your children. I am so proud of both of you!
A.C.