Friday, April 10, 2009

Spring Break '09

Well, we survived our second annual drive to South Carolina. The drive there was less than fun. The kids did great, but it just seemed to take FOREVER!! 15 hrs. is a very long drive with 2-year old twins. Once agiain, it was worth it!

This year we took a little detour to Myrtle Beach, SC for a couple days. There we met our in-laws who had so many fun things in store for us. LnL's first trip to the ocean was SO ecxiting. My awesome SIL had bags ready for the kids filled with beach balls, pails, bubble wands, candy, nets for catching crabs, flashlights for catching crabs, rockin' t-shirts, and so many more goodies. We really enjoyed our stay! I found a sweet deal on a 3 BR, 3 BATH, condo right on the ocean. Luckily, the place had a heated indoor pool because it was too chilly to swim outside during our stay. The first time the kids saw the ocean was just amazing. Their faces were priceless. LJ was afraid. It was dark when we got there and the wind and waves were really going...he didn't like it at all. The next morning he seemed to warm up to the massive ocean...then he fell in the waves with his clothes on-scared to death-but the cutest thing ever! (He still says everyday..." I went to the beach!!!!! It scared me"). He really did enjoy himself... I have pictures to prove it. Of course, my fearless LK didn't blink an eye at how huge the ocean, beach, and waves were. We would run up on the waves together and then run away so they couldn't catch us...so much fun. She was more fascinated with the beach than anything. She could just sit on the beach and play with the sand for hours and hours and hours. Even if the kids don't remember this trip...I will never ever ever forget their first trip to the ocean! (I should also note this is where injury #1 of the trip took place---Logan fell out of bed in the middle of the night and conked the wall. I was a bit of a stress ball about it. Stay tuned for more injuries)

Next, we headed back towards Rock Hill (the in-laws hometown). On the way back, we stopped at our favorite zoo. We were able to visit it last year as well. LnL couldn't wait to see the elephants! They have been obsessed with 2 movies lately. The Jungle Book and Sleeping Beauty(they actually like that MEAN witch). Jungle Book = love for elephants.

After a long day, we finally made it to Rock Hill where we settled in for 3 nights. Injury #2 took place shortly after arriving at the house where LJ's foot (in sandal) was run over by a battery powered jeep. The next day we headed to a playground where injury #3 took place. LJ was running so fast (and also watching his feet) that he tripped and conked his head on one of those plastic rock climbing walls...It was IMMEDIATE goose egg right between the eyes. He still has somewhat of a black eye from this injury. Yet, within 5 minutes he was climbing right back on the playground. We finished up and had some lunch at McD's with an outdoor playland. My kids really had never played on one before. I'm always afraid they're going to get lost up there and I'll have to go in after them. Plus...I'm a bit of a germophobe. They had a blast with their big cuz
"C-bug" helping them along. (Injury #4 - LJ's hand was stepped on by LK) Also, my darling son picked up some sort of nasty leftover candy piece from the picnic table and put it in his mouth....I think I threw up a little in my mouth. By the way...we really were HAVING FUN!

In the last days of our stay, we were able to watch C-bug and Zo-Zo play some baseball. We also visited downtown Charlotte which was probably LJ's favorite part of the trip. The reason he enjoyed this so much was because we rode the Charlotte light-rail into downtown. LJ is obsessed with tractors, trains, four-wheelers, etc. So...the whole ride he just had the biggest grin on his face. It was absolutely precious!! Meanwhile, my daughter was coming down with strep throat and spiking a temp. By the end of the night, Daddy ended up carrying her about 4 blocks back to the light-rail where she rode clinging to him... just a little lifeless sick girl :-(. Broke my heart. In Charlotte, we visited ImaginOn which is this AWESOME library and childrens theatre. We also grabbed some dinner at a local restaurant. I was SO bummed that the childrens museum we visited last year had closed.

We had so much fun on our trip and even though it is stressful...it is definitely worth it. Mostly, because we get to see our dearly missed family. I couldn't believe how big little Coop is getting. My dear nieces are growing up WAY too fast. I was also reminded how much fun I have playing cards with my SIL, BIL, and Hubby.

After a fun, event-filled vacation is was time to drive the dreaded 12 hr. trip home...where LK and I both were treated for strep. Of course, LJ followed a few days later. We also managed to sneak in a weekend trip to the ER due to a head injury. Please tell me 3-yr. olds are a little less accident-prone!?!?

1 comment:

And along comes three... said...

Love the slide show! We had so much fun having you here...can't wait until next year!