Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Happy Mother's Day


I was lucky enough to celebrate Mother's Day with my whole family! We headed over to my parents house for a brunch. Then Hubby, the kids, and myself spent the rest of the day just hanging out at the house. I was spoiled with cards that had recordings of the kids voices, colored pages, and lots of hugs & snuggles! Hubby tried his darndest to get me an Epiphanie camera bag (I have been drooling over Lola-red) but they are out of stock. Instead, I am super stoked (can't believe I just said "stoked") for a Mommy n' Me session with Miranda Parker.

I love this day for so many reasons. One of the main reasons I love this day is because I get a chance to reflect on all of the great mothers I know, and let me tell you...I am surrounded by them! My sisters, my in-laws, my friends...all inspire me with their awesome "mommy" skills! The biggest inspiration for me is my own mother. If you read my blog you know that my mother is a best friend to me. Anyone that knows me and my mother, will probably agree that I am my mother's daughter.


I'm not going to thank her for passing on the habits such as:
losing my keys all the time, getting food/drink on my clothes at almost every meal, or the clumsiness (okay...maybe I'm just clumsy).

I am going to thank her for always being in my corner NO MATTER WHAT!
...for allowing me to just be myself and express myself such as wearing my favorite yellow/black spaceship dress in 3rd grade or plastering my walls with magazine pages.
...for forcing my sisters to play Barbies with me when neither of them wanted to.
...for letting me try my hand at baking over and over even though my baked goods were REALLY horrible
...for forcing me to follow some really strict rules in high school (which now I understand)
...for not buying me a brand new car when I got my license
...for driving me back/forth to millions of sporting events and being my biggest cheerleader (you continue to do this for grandkids-thank you for that)
...for placing a wet washcloth on my head when I was sick and humming that familiar hum that I can still hear in my head.
...for taking us on trips across the country in our minivan (I have so many memories from these trips)
...for not allowing us to say SHUT UP or any other disrespectful language
...for answering the phone every single time I call
...for giving up an ENTIRE summer to sit by my side while I was on bedrest (she would give up anything for her kids/grandkids)
...for being a wonderful grandmother to my kids
...for just being my best friend

I just hope some day that my children can look up to me and thank me for some of these same things...because I learned how to be a great mom from HER.
I am SO bummed that I don't have a pic of my mom and I from Mother's Day. We were so busy trying to get the kids in the shots that we totally forgot to get a pic of mom and daughters. It's on my list of upcoming shots!

Mother's day is also a time when I remember two REALLY special moms and grandmoms that I am missing...and I think of them and their greatness...and feel inspired...and sad that I can't see them.
Hope you all had a fantastics Mother's Day!!

No comments: