Friday, July 30, 2010

The House That Built Me...

I have loved this song since the very first time I heard it. In fact, I immediately went to the computer and downloaded it that night (Unfortunately, we also got some sort of nasty computer virus that night). Anyhow, every single time I hear this song I fill with joy. I truly am one of the luckiest gals in the world to have the childhood that I did. Of course it wasn't the house, but the family, friends, and moments that made it so special. My parents created so many family traditions that made my childhood memorable.

I can recall many teenage days wishing my house was "nicer", fancier, a little more up-to-date. Now, I feel so differently. That house made me who I am today...that house holds SO many memories...now I hope it never changes! Of course little renovations have been made here and there; and eventually it may look totally different - thank God for pictures! So, I thought I would put down in words just a few of the memories from the house that built me.


The house that built me...

  • was built mainly by my dad and grandpa (and I think that is amazing)
  • had brown shag carpeting...the entire time I lived there (finally got new carpeting about 10 years ago)
  • is filled with curtains that were sewn by mother (the living room curtains used to have some sort of cowboy scene)
  • has a fireplace/mantle where my dad used to build fires, christmas stockings were hung, and many family portraits were taken...along with uncomfortable, nervous prom date pictures.
  • has some "unique" art pieces...that have been there as long as I can recall (dogs with metal ears, a picture of a rifleman overlooking a river, a basket collection in the kitchen)
  • has a china cabinet that we always had to be VERY careful around with my mother's collection of china inside and Hummel figurines that sit atop (now I freak out on my own kids to be careful).
  • has a sliding screen door in the dining room...I remember our old dog Ginger used to have a bed right next to this door.
  • does not have any sort of air conditioning so I remember the windows ALWAYS being open in the summer...I loved that
  • has three bedrooms...which meant I shared one with my younger sister. I had Peanuts sheets/comforter. We had two twin beds and used to stay up late and listen for the Cheers theme song to come on from the living room TV. At times, there was masking tape on the floor separating two areas of the room when we fought. This bedroom had green striped carpeting and green curtains (I think Winnie The Pooh) when I was growing up. Two windows...one overlooks my Dad's garden and the other the backyard. I remember sitting on one of the twin beds early one school morning with my sisters and my mom crying. Our very old dog, Ginger, did not move like she always did from the driveway that morning and my Dad ran her over; he was heart-broken even more so than us girls. I was in 2nd grade. I remember listening to my very first CD in this room (the Friday soundtrack :-). I remember waking up to the horrible sound of my cat being attacked by a dog in the backyard...she died. I remember my parents letting me update this room...I chose lilac colored paint and layered sheer curtains. I remember laying in this room after I had knee surgery...wishing I didn't have knee surgery.
  • has a basement that is filled with stuff my mother never throws away...which means it's filled with MANY memories. I remember going down to the basement with my sisters at night and exercising with my dad. He had this exercise mat...used to jump rope, do push-ups, even had the little hand-strengthening tool. Us girls would do somersaults and jumping jacks. We used to listen to old music like this from Bobby Bare or Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, and the likes. He has a "work room" where I remember helping him make bullets and listen to stories about his past. We also used to have to crawl through this basement window when we got locked out of the house. I also remember playing so many imaginary games down there with my sisters and neighbors...one of our favorites was "school". I vividly remember my younger sister and I belly-laughing so hard after lip-synching Milli Vanilli "Blame it on the Rain" in the mirror...over and over again. I also had a bedroom in the basement for some of my high school years. I remember having my first real broken heart and break-up in that basement.
  • is surrounded by a huge yard where we spent endless hours playing outside. There were paths through the woods that would lead us to either neighbor's house where our good friends lived. We would create leaf mazes, snow forts, play baseball, hide-n-seek, and so much more! One summer we worked daily on a "mud pool" in our sandbox. We would catch crayfish in the stream and build "homes" for frogs in windowboxes. Every spring we helped my dad tap the maple trees and make maple syrup. (this post could turn into a book if I don't stop...seriously I could write a book)
  • had a bus stop that we used to wait in every morning...I remember many freezing cold mornings (and using it for hide-n-seek alot)
  • has flower gardens that line the driveway...everyday in the summer my Mom would work in these flower gardens in her strapless terrycloth jumpsuit...we tease her about this often :-).

Wow...writing this post has reminded me of so many memories. I could literally write for hours on my childhood memories. I am so very thankful for that house ...and the two people that decided to build it and raise their family inside.
LK has also decided that this is one of her favorite tunes and belts it out everytime she hears it.

2 comments:

And along comes three... said...

OH MY GOSH!!! Swear to the stars that you just stole my post! Seriously...we are too alike! I visited Gram G's house with the girls and walked the yard and peeked in all of the windows and a rush of emotions and memories came back to me. I didn't have my camera so no pics of the house...but I was going to have you take a pick and email me so I could post about it! Too funny! Love ya...and your post!

mom4inspiration said...

Love this - what a great idea. A reminder of the important things. I'm waiting on the book....