Friday, July 9, 2010

This Ring...


Every day I put on this ring, and most every time I think of several things. First, how lucky and blessed I am to have my favorite friend at my side. Of course, we have our days just like any other couple. Days when we just need someone to take our frustrations out on - and unfortunately it is usually each other. But no matter what...NO MATTER WHAT...we both know that neither of us would ever give up. Even when we may be so pissed at each other that we can't stand it, we both know that we are always there for each other. We are in it for the long run and that is something we can depend on and believe in...and that is why I love my marriage.
Today marks 5 years since I officially got "hitched". It is amazing how much can happen in 5 years...and how fast it can go by. Yesterday when I looked at my ring and thought of that wedding day I also remembered how I actually got this ring. A few months before my husband proposed we had taken his mother out to dinner for her birthday. After dinner, she suggested we go to the mall for a bit and then urged us to go inside a jewelry store. (We dated for about 8 years before we actually got married, so I was definitely ready for a ring) We peeked at rings and I pointed out one or two I liked. I am not sure if this was something she intended or maybe even hinted to my hubby, but I ended up getting one of those rings 5 months later.

It was around that same time that we learned some horrible news. His mom was diagnosed with stage IV pancreatic cancer. We spent the next year going with her to dr. appointments, chemo, radiation, and researching as much as we could about the horrible disease. That year was by far one of the most difficult things I ever dealt with (my hospital bedrest being a very close second). For some reason that year, that HORRIBLE year, made our relationship even stronger. Sadly, we lost that most wonderful, marvelous woman a few weeks before we were married. Yet, her amazing strength and generosity still amazes me to this day. I see many of her wonderful traits in my hubby and I am so very thankful for that. So, I guess in some ways I can thank PK for the ring...and for raising a great man!
Happy Anniversary Babe...I love you SO much!

2 comments:

mom4inspiration said...

Happy anniversary! We just had one too on the 18th. Soo true...you have a great attitude and are very blessed to recognize what is important and to let go of things that are not.

Knitterella said...

What a beautiful post, B. I'm so proud of you two and so confidant in your love.

Happy "very belated" Anniversary!