There are so many great things that happen in April with some of my favorite charities that I thought I would share!!

First, in case you do not know, April is Autism Awareness Month. Ever since I had LJ and LK I have been extremely tuned in with everything to do with autism. Like many parents... I get extremely nervous around vaccination time. I did tons of research on the link between vaccines and Autism. My belief is that we are giving our children too many vaccinations at one time. I think they should be spread out. Also, I believe, the child should be in perfect health when given a vaccination (no colds, cough, fever, etc.) Yes, I do think genetics has something to do with it as well. Yet, genetics can't explain the rise in autism! The occurrence of autism has risen to 1 in every 150 American children, and almost 1 in 94 boys. Also, studies have shown that the rate of autism in fraternal twins is about 4 times higher than the general population...which is another reason I was very nervous. The Autism Society of America is running "Bounce for Autism" this month. If you would like to learn more, or donate visit the link!

Next, the March of Dimes usually holds the March for Babies sometime in April. This used to be called Walk America. I really just learned about this fundraising event from a co-worker so I am a little late to participate this year. Hopefully, I can get a team together next year...it is a cause I will definitely walk for!! I love this organization and I just don't think it gets enough credit. Luckily, neither of my babes had to spend time in NICU. I went into the hospital at 26 weeks with pre-term labor; we were extremely lucky to make 36.5 weeks. I can't even imagine the hurdles my babies would of had to overcome if they were born that early. It is not uncommon for twins to end up in NICU...actually for any baby. I have many friends who had singletons in NICU. To learn more or to set up a team to walk...visit the links!!
Okay.. I think I will get off my soapbox now!
No comments:
Post a Comment