
So last week as layoffs were being announced at GM, I became extremely grateful for the fact that I have a job. Also last week I was listening to a St. Jude's special being aired on a local radio station; I became SO extremely grateful for the health of my children. I also remembered my wonderful MIL on her birthday and became so thankful to have known her and to have been touched by her greatness. I found myself thinking...why do I have to be reminded to be grateful??? Of course, each day I am grateful for my family and friends...yet isn't it the truth that you never really cherish each moment until something "bad" happens.
Today the something "bad" happened. We were so very excited to attend our lil' Elly's baptism! I bundled up the kids and we were on our way. Hubby was home since he had worked all night. Things were all fine...the kids were jammin' to their Laurie Berkner and I was just about ready to snack on a granola bar. Then we hit the patch of ice. I was on a ramp merging from one expressway onto another. It was seriously like the song "Jesus Take the Wheel" (except I didn't throw my hands up in the air). Anyhow, we were fishtailing and bouncing off the guardrails. So many things were running thru my mind. Mostly, I was just totally FREAKED for my kids. I kept thinking "No, No, NO this is not happening". Also, there was a tow truck on the ramp w/another suv that had done exactly the same thing so I was trying not to hit them! We did a couple 180's and I thought for sure we were going over the guardrails and plummeting over. Somehow, and I don't know how, I managed to slow down and pull over. The tow truck driver ran up to us and asked us if we were okay. He called to get some salt on that ramp (which didn't happen for another hour). Hubby came and we eventually got off the "death ramp" and waited for the next 2 hours for a police officer to come fill out the report. By the way, another car did the same exact thing AFTER us. So, we missed lil' Elly's baptism which absolutely broke my heart. Luckily, the vehicle is still drive-able and we did make it to brunch with the fam'. Now I am determined to be greatest Godparent of all Godparents to Elly...I'm not sure how much money or time this will involve but it has to be done!


In conclusion, I sure am thankful for my life today. Mostly, I sure am thankful for my children. I am not sure anyone can truly understand the terror that I felt today until they have been with their children in a life threatening situation....which I hope never happens to you. Whatever you're doing right now...stop and be thankful................................................Good job.

5 comments:
YIKES - SO SCARY!!! Thank god you are all okay!!!
On a lighter note....I am pretty sure Logan and Lauren wanted Mommy to do her neat trick again. They were pretty funny when I got there. They just watched a DVD, and read Golf Digest, like nothing even happened. They had no idea how lucky WE all were for strong guardrails.
We are also going to hold out on turning this in to AAA. I'm hopeful that Barack will take care of it in part of his next stimulus pkg, which I'm sure will be coming out soon. Nah, we'll probably get skipped over again. I guess we'll just have to pay our deductable.
Wow! That is scary. Glad y'all are okay. God is good, isn't He?
Beth....I am saying so many thank you's to God right now for protecting you all...pretty sure that Grammy was wrapping her arms around that van as well! I cannot even begin to imagine how you must have felt Beth...I'm sure Elly will forgive you!
OMG! I so glad you are safe! How very scary!!! Gosh, how did the kids react after that?
So THANKFUL you are all OK B!
Post a Comment